The first step in applying for a home is to review the following pages on our website: Apply for Home, Qualifications, Homeowner Expectations, and Applicant FAQ. These pages will provide you with everything you need to know about qualifying for our program. If after reviewing these pages you find that you meet our qualifications and you would like to apply, this is what to expect during the application process:
- You must attend an application meeting in order to apply for a home. We hold 1-2 application meetings per year in each of our three areas – North Fulton County, Cherokee County, and Lanier Area (Forsyth/Dawson Counties). If you are interested in a home in our service area of North Metro Atlanta, you may attend any application meeting. Information for upcoming application meetings is posted on our Calendar of Events. If you do not see an application meeting listed on the Calendar of Events, it means that we do not have one scheduled at this time. At the application meeting, you must present government issued photo identification (i.e. driver’s license, passport, green card, etc.) in order to receive an application.
- After attending an application meeting and receiving an application, you must complete the application and submit all of the required documentation within the designated period of time. Typically you will have 2-3 weeks to complete your application. Late applications will not be accepted.
- After you have submitted your application, there is an initial review period. You will either be notified that you have not been approved, that you are missing information in your application and need to submit that information, or that we would like to do a home visit with your family.
- After the initial review of applications, our family selection committee performs home visits with those who qualify. The purpose of the home visit is to verify that the need you stated is accurate (i.e. you live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 family members; your home has faulty electrical wiring, etc.). Everyone who lives in the home MUST be present for the home visit as well as anyone that will be living with you in your Habitat home.
- After the home visit, we will then perform a credit check and a criminal background check. You do not need to have perfect credit in order to qualify for our program, but we will take your credit and current debts into consideration.
After we have thoroughly reviewed the applications, we will notify everyone who has applied if they have been declined or approved. The entire process can take up to 6 months. If you are approved, you may wait up to 2 years in queue before moving into your home. Typically families wait 6 months to one year before moving into their home. Not all qualified applicants will be approved. If you are not approved, we encourage you to try again. There is no limit on the number of times that you can reapply.
*Please note that our Application Process is closed for 2013. Please check back after January 15, 2014 for future Application Meeting dates.*